Elco in Old Forge, New York

On July 15 in Old Forge NY, at the 27th Fulton Chain Rendezvous, ACBS Adirondack Chapter members Deke and Carol Morrison displayed their recently restored 1895 launch, Laura, repowered with an Elco inboard EP-12. The launch, made by the “Gas Engine and Power Company” took top honors as Best Historic and People’s Choice. Originally powered with a naptha motor, Laura now plies the waters of the Fulton Chain of lakes quietly and cleanly, allowing her owners and passengers to enjoy the sounds of water gently lapping against the 122 year-old wooden hull. She is believed to have been delivered to the Old Forge area in 1985 and been there ever since. She was spotted in an barn by Deke in 1974, purchased and tucked it away until it was time to restore. Adam Retersorf, (Reets Boatworks in Mayfield, NY) performed the restoration and installed the Elco motor.