Wenona – An 1890s Elco Electric restored

 

“Wenona” is a 32’ electric Elco launch. She was built in 1899 and delivered to the F. R. Smith yard on Lake George where she was used to demonstrate the qualities of electric boats. In 1903 she was purchased by Bishop Stires, who owned a camp at Shelving Rock and who was a prominent figure in New York as well as on the lake. “Wenona” became a Lake George icon throughout the 20th century, as the favorite boat of the popular bishop, his son, and finally his grandson Ernie Stires, who finally sold the boat out of the family in 2006—but right back to her old stomping grounds.

She is being launched very soon!